LEVEL Playing Field, created and delivered by Artistic Associate Darius Powell, is a two day course that explores the use of digital tools for creating work with and for learning disabled adults.
Level Playing Field Course:
LEVEL Playing Field is a two day hands-on exploration of digital tools for creating work with and for learning disabled adults. The sessions are suitable for creatives wanting to explore how digital technology can be used as a tool for accessibility.
Over the two days you will be introduced to a range of software, techniques and hardware. These include: Motion Tracking, Augmented Reality, 3D Scanning, Data Visualisation, Midi Controllers, Game Engines and Projection Mapping.
What will I learn?
You will learn how digital tools can be used to:
- Offer more accessible ways to create content for projects
- Develop accessible user generated content or interaction in an exhibition
- Augment existing exhibitions or work for further engagement and to improve accessibility
The course will run from 10am – 4pm with a lunch break at 12:30pm.
Day 1: Working with real world data and projection mapping
- An Introduction to Isadora software
- Translating user generated data into visuals and audio
- Motion and Colour Tracking using webcams or depth cameras
- User generated content via webcam capture
- Introduction to Projection Mapping
- Creative captioning with projections
Day 2: Augmented Reality and 3D Scanning
- An introduction to Augmented Reality (AR)
- Using AR to add new layers of accessibility and interaction to existing works
- Introduction to 3D Scanning and post-production
- Using 3D Scanning to digitise participants work
- Additional time to experiment and ask questions
Date: Wednesday 16 & Thursday 17 February 2022
Time: 10am – 4pm
All participants must be:
- 18 years or over
- able to get to LEVEL Centre in Derbyshire, DE4 2EL.
- have an interest in improving accessibility in the arts
- basic computer skills on either a
MAC or PC
Refreshments are included in the price of the course, but a packed lunch is recommended.
All equipment will be provided for the duration of the course. After the course, participants will be given details of all the tools and software used over the two days.
Course Leader: Darius Powell
Darius is a digital artist, workshop leader and producer with over 15 years professional experience creating working for exhibitions, theatre, museums, participatory arts and commercial sector. His expertise includes Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Projection Mapping and Interactive Installations. As an advocate for digital inclusion, Darius strives to find new ways technology can engage individuals in the co-creation of work.